HMCS Caribou – Royal Canadian Naval Reserve Division Corner Brook Newfoundland

by John M. MacFarlane 2016

HMCS Caribou

Opening of HMCS Caribou. (Photo from Crowsnest Magazine)

On August 28th, 1953, a naval reserve division was commissioned at Corner Brook on Newfoundland’s west coast. Corner Brook had been the headquarters in the Second World War of the Corner Brook Patrol.

HMCS Caribou

The Hon. Brooke Claxton, Minister of National Defence (Photo from Crowsnest Magazine)

The first commanding officer was Lieutenant–Commander F.K. Rowsell RCN(R). Present at the commissioning ceremony was the Hon. Brooke Claxton and Commodore Adams. The guests of honour included, Hon. J. W. Pickersgill, Secretary of State and a Newfoundland representative in the House of Commons; H. M. Spencer Lewin, manager of Bowater’s huge pulp and paper plant at Corner Brook, and Captain V. L. A. Campbell, RN, (Ret'd), wartime Senior Naval Officer at Corner Brook.

A harbourcraft was assigned to the Division which was returned to Halifax when the Division paid–off in 1958.

Some naval officers associated with HMCS Caribou were:



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2016) HMCS Caribou – Royal Canadian Naval Reserve Division Corner Brook Newfoundland. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Articles/Caribou_HMCS.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: July 8th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,143 vessel histories (with 4319 images) and 57,540 mariner biographies (with 3421 images).


© 2002-2017