Pacific Nautical Heritage...
- Gallery of Light and Buoy Images
- Gallery of Mariners
- Gallery of Ship Images
- Gallery of Monuments and Statues
- Gallery of Nautical Images
- Gallery of New Books
Canadian Naval Topics…
- British Columbia Heritage
- Arctic and Northern Nautical Heritage
- Western Canada Boat and Ship Builders
- Gallery of Arctic Images
- Reflections on Nautical Heritage
- Nauticapedia Publications
Looking for more? Search for Articles on the Nauticapedia Site.
HMCS Caribou – Royal Canadian Naval Reserve Division Corner Brook Newfoundland
by John M. MacFarlane 2016
Opening of HMCS Caribou. (Photo from Crowsnest Magazine)
On August 28th, 1953, a naval reserve division was commissioned at Corner Brook on Newfoundland’s west coast. Corner Brook had been the headquarters in the Second World War of the Corner Brook Patrol.
The Hon. Brooke Claxton, Minister of National Defence (Photo from Crowsnest Magazine)
The first commanding officer was Lieutenant–Commander F.K. Rowsell RCN(R). Present at the commissioning ceremony was the Hon. Brooke Claxton and Commodore Adams. The guests of honour included, Hon. J. W. Pickersgill, Secretary of State and a Newfoundland representative in the House of Commons; H. M. Spencer Lewin, manager of Bowater’s huge pulp and paper plant at Corner Brook, and Captain V. L. A. Campbell, RN, (Ret'd), wartime Senior Naval Officer at Corner Brook.
A harbourcraft was assigned to the Division which was returned to Halifax when the Division paid–off in 1958.
Some naval officers associated with HMCS Caribou were:
- Butler, Frederick D. – Lieutenant (L) (RCN(R))
- Chaney, Lawrence MBE – Lieutenant (RCN)
- Edward, Peter W. – Surgeon Lieutenant (RCN(R))
- Edwards, Frederick John – Commander (S) (RCN(R))
- Edwards, P.W. – Constructor Lieutenant (RCN)
- Hoddinot, Donald F. – Chaplain (Class II) (RCN(R))
- March, Raymond" – Chaplain (Class II) (RCN(R))
- Newbury, Frank Edwards – Lieutenant (L) (RCN(R))
- Rowsall, Frederick Llewellyn – Lieutenant–Commander (RCN(R))
- Strong, Howard W. – Lieutenant–Commander (RCN(R))
To quote from this article please cite:
MacFarlane, John M. (2016) HMCS Caribou – Royal Canadian Naval Reserve Division Corner Brook Newfoundland. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Articles/Caribou_HMCS.php
New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!
Volume Four in series
The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four
For more information …
Site News: Feb 26th, 2017
Databases have been updated and are now holding 49,563 vessel histories (with 3964 images) and 57,418 mariner biographies (with 3346 images).