Pacific Nautical Heritage...
- Gallery of Light and Buoy Images
- Gallery of Mariners
- Gallery of Ship Images
- Gallery of Ship Wrecks
- Gallery of Monuments and Statues
- Gallery of Nautical Images
- Gallery of Freshwater Images
- Gallery of New Books
Canadian Naval Topics…
- British Columbia Heritage
- Arctic and Northern Nautical Heritage
- Western Canada Boat and Ship Builders
- Gallery of Arctic Images
- Reflections on Nautical Heritage
- British Columbia Heritage
Looking for more? Search for Articles on the Nauticapedia Site.
The Tugboat Aleutian Chief
by Evan Neeves and John MacFarlane 2017
The Tugboat Aleutian Chief (Photo from the Neeves Family collection.)
The Aleutian Chief was built in 1911 by Tanaka & Nakade at Steveston BC as a passenger vessel. She was 67.9’ x 15.5’ x 8.1’ wooden hull 68gt 42rt. She was powered by a 6hp engine.
The Tugboat Aleutian Chief (Photo from the Rayner Family collection.)
In 1911–1921 she was owned by Wallace Fisheries Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1926 she was owned by Wallace Diesel Ships, Vancouver BC. In 1929–1931 she was owned by Packers Steamship Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1933 she was owned by J. McQuillan, Vancouver BC. In 1934 she was owned by Klengenberg Brothers (Jorgen Klemgenberg), Vancouver BC.. In 1936 she was owned by J. Dutweiler, Nanaimo BC. In 1936 she was owned by William Yorke Higgs, Nanaimo BC. In 1941 she was owned by Nanaimo Towing Ltd., Nanaimo BC. In 1942 she was owned by North American Towing & Salvage Co. Ltd., Nanaimo BC. In 1950–1958 she was owned by Nanaimo Towing, Nanaimo BC (Straits Towing purchased Nanaimo Towing in 1952). In 1958–1984 she was owned by Straits Towing Ltd., Vancouver BC. (She was reported as scuttled off Sechelt BC.)
She was built as the Nahmint, renamed as the Aleutian Chief and later as the Nanaimo Tyee. In 1934 she was rebuilt as an Arctic trader and again in 1943 she was rebuilt. In 1929 she was repowered with a 7nhp engine. In 1934 she was repowered with a 100hp Fairbanks–Morse oil engine. In 1948 she was repowered with a 250hp engine.
Arthur Neeves on board (Photo from the Neeves Family collection.)
Around 1949 Evan Neeves’ father, Arthur Neeves, was a crew member in the Aleutian Chief. He served as a Marine Engineer in the Aleutian Chief with Nanaimo Towing. Arthur’ cousin Morris (Jimmy) Corfield also worked for Nanaimo Towing.
Captain Murchison with Mildred Neeves. (Photo from the Neeves Family collection.)
The skipper at the time was a fellow named Murchison. Evan Neeves’ elderly Mother (Mildred Neeves) can’t recall it for certain – she remembers him now as ‘Murch’. They did some trips from Nanaimo up to Prince Rupert BC.
Mildred Neeves on board (Photo from the Neeves Family collection.)
To quote from this article please cite:
Neeves, Evan and John MacFarlane (2017) The Tugboat Aleutian Chief. Nauticapedia.ca 2017. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Aleutian_Chief.php
New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!
Volume Four in series
The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four
For more information …
Site News: March2nd, 2019
Databases have been updated and are now holding 56,584 vessel histories (with 5,550 images) and 58,184 mariner biographies (with 3,673 images).