Pacific Nautical Heritage...
- Gallery of Light and Buoy Images
- Gallery of Mariners
- Gallery of Ship Images
- Gallery of Ship Wrecks
- Gallery of Monuments and Statues
- Gallery of Nautical Images
- Gallery of Freshwater Images
- Gallery of New Books
Canadian Naval Topics…
- British Columbia Heritage
- Arctic and Northern Nautical Heritage
- Western Canada Boat and Ship Builders
- Gallery of Arctic Images
- Reflections on Nautical Heritage
- British Columbia Heritage
Looking for more? Search for Articles on the Nauticapedia Site.
The Old Halibut Schooner Harriet E.
by Ken Gibson with John MacFarlane 2018
The Harriet E. in an old Seattle photo I got from the Shields family of Sooke BC (where she caught a lot of halibut) (Photo from the Ken Gibson (from Shields family) collection.)
The Harriet E. (ON 138781) was built in 1911 by James A. Croll at Seattle WA USA. She was later renamed as Queen of Storm. She was 75.0’ x 18.0’ x 8.5’ with a wooden hull 68gt 28rt. In 1917 she was rebuilt at Seattle WA 22.86m x 5.49m x 2.59m. She was originally powered by a 7hp engine. She was re–engined (apparently a number of times 100hp engine (1949c); 135hp 4–cylinder Atlas–Imperial diesel engine; 330bhp diesel engine (2010c).
The Harriet E. in an old Seattle photo.(Photo from the Ken Gibson (from Shields family) collection.)
In 1911 she was owned by USA interests. In 1919–1941 she was owned by Sooke Harbour Packing Co., Victoria BC. In 1942–1975 she was owned by The Canadian Fishing Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1976 she was owned by Gerald L. Winston, Halfmoon Bay BC. In 1977–1978 she was owned by Gibco Logging & Contracting Co. Ltd. Vancouver BC. In 1979 she was owned by David J. Brown, Port Hardy BC. In 1980–1988 as a fishboat she was owned by Horst Klein, Pender Island BC. In 1989–1992 she was owned by Unique Sea Farms Ltd., Nanaimo BC. In 1993–2019 she was owned by Frank B. Stoney, Lantzville BC.
The Harriet E. with the Cape Pine at the Todd Ice Plant (Photo from the Ken Gibson (from Bob Wingen) collection.)
The Harriet E. returning home from her weekly trip to Kyuquot (usually on a Sunday). This fish was shipped over Sutton Pass at night to Vancouver for Monday AM. (Photo from the Ken Gibson (from Bob Wingen) collection.)
The crew of the Harriet E. in 1927. (Photo from the Ken Gibson (from Shields family) collection.)
On September 1, 1933 she was stranded at Race Rocks BC. In 1992 she suffered a fire on the Fraser River.
The Harriet E. at the His–nits Quarry at Nootka. (Photo from the Ken Gibson collection.)
Whitey Bernard wrote to say that he worked as a deckhand, mate, and engineer in the Harriet E.. He also worked in Wingen&rquo;s shop when they changed the engine from an Atlas–Imperial to a GM 610. They also replaced the fuel tanks, mast, twin booms (installed), moved the anchor winch, added a tow winch, all in the early 1960s. He recalls that she was used year round on the west coast from 1962 until 1972. (Photo from the Whitey Bernard collection.)
The Queen of Storm (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection.)
To quote from this article please cite:
Gibson, Ken with John MacFarlane (2018) The Harriet E.. Nauticapedia.ca 2018. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Harriet_E.php
New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!
Volume Four in series
The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four
For more information …
Site News: Aug 28th, 2018
Databases have been updated and are now holding 55,238 vessel histories (with 5,108 images) and 58,142 mariner biographies (with 3,618 images).