Amphitrite Light

by John MacFarlane 2016

Amphitrite Light

Amphitrite Light (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection. )

Amphitrite Light (List of Lights 135 G5246) is located on the extremity of the point, at the entrance to Ucluelet Harbour. It is a white rectangular tower, red top. It exhibits a Flash 0.2 s; eclipse 11.8 s. In operation 24 hours. Year round. Horn - Blast 2 s; sil. 18 s.

Amphitrite Light

Amphitrite Light (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection. )

Amphitrite Light

Amphitrite Light (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection. )

Amphitrite Point was named c1859 by Captain Richards, RN, after H.M. frigate Amphitrite, (24 guns, 1064 tons), built in Bombay India in 1816 from the plans of the French frigate Leda. On the Pacific Station 1851–1857 under the command of Captain Charles Frederick RN, then Captain George Burridge RN. The name was adopted 3 April 1944 on C. 3627, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart A584, 1861.

References: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office; https://www.notmar.gc.ca/publications/list-livre/pac/p66-en.php; Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971);



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2016) Amphitrite Light. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Light_Amphitrite.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: May 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 49,765 vessel histories (with 4188 images) and 57,500 mariner biographies (with 3397 images).


© 2002-2017