Brotchie Ledge Light

by John MacFarlane 2016

Brotchie Ledge Light

Brotchie Ledge Light (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection. )

Brotchie Ledge is located in the Juan de Fuca Strait, South of Victoria Harbour. It was named in 1849 after Captain William Brotchie (1799–1859), master of several Hudson’s Bay Company vessels on this coast, and who was in command of the Albion, which vessel had struck there that year.

Brotchie Ledge Light (List of Lights 205 G5310) is a white cylindrical tower, green band at top with a flashing green light.

The San Pedro ran onto Brotchie Ledge while proceeding in the charge of a pilot from Union Bay via Victoria to San Francisco laden with 4,000 tons of coal on 22/11/1891. She remained there for six years and then was dismantled on the spot and dynamited. The wreck of the the San Pedro is located about 30’ (10m) to the north of the light. The San Pedro was an American steamship she was owned by the Pacific Improvement Co, under Captain C.H. Hewitt

References: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC’s Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office; Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997; https://www.notmar.gc.ca/publications/list-livre/pac/p180-en.php;



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2016) Brotchie Ledge Light. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Light_Brotchie.php.

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: Feb 26th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 49,563 vessel histories (with 3964 images) and 57,418 mariner biographies (with 3346 images).


© 2002-2017