Cape St. James Light

by Captain Alec Provan and John MacFarlane 2016

Cape St. James Light

Cape St. James Light (Photo from the J.A.C. Derham–Reid collection. )

Cape St. James Light (List of Lights 770 G5826) is located at the South end of St. James Island, Queen Charlotte Land District. It is a White mast exhibiting Flash 0.1 s; eclipse 4.9 s. Year round. Chart:3825.

Cape St. James Light

Cape St. James Light (Photo from the Captain Alec Provan collection. )

Cape St. James was named by Captain George Dixon who rounded the point on July 25, 1787 (feast day of St. James). The lighthouse was built in 1914 and there was a radar station there during the Second World War. It was automated in 1992.

Keepers: Taylor Ash (1914), Laurance Thompson (1914–1918), Angus Matheson (1918), Robert Joseph Smith (1918–1921), Stanley Frederick Lawrence (1921–1931), Andrew Abraham Johnston (1932–1934), Peter Doherty (1934–1937),James Neil Kelly (c.1937–1940 and 1942–1943), Charles A. Smith (1943–1948), George Ross Snetsinger (c.1940–1941), Herbert Fitzgerald (1941–1942), Sidney Smith (1948–1950), ? Diggens (1950–1952), Ben Rogers (1952–1954), Edward Carson (1954–1956), Alex Bournazel (1956–1961)

References: https://www.notmar.gc.ca/publications/list-livre/pac/p7686-en.php; http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/bcgnws/names/31107.html; (The list of keepers is from: History of Cape St. James Lightstation, 1914–1992 by J. A. C. Derham–Reid.)



To quote from this article please cite:

Provan, Captain Alec and John MacFarlane (2016) Cape St. James Light. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Light_Cape_StJames.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: Feb 26th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 49,563 vessel histories (with 3964 images) and 57,418 mariner biographies (with 3346 images).


© 2002-2017