Quatsino Light

by Captain Alec Provan and John MacFarlane 2016

Quatsino Light

Quatsino Island Light (Photo from the Captain Alec Provan collection.)

Quatsino (List of Lights 68 G5178) is a White cylindrical tower located on the North side of the entrance of Quatsino Sound on the SE end of Kains Island. Flash 0.1 s; eclipse 4.9 s. Visible from 224° through W., N. and E. to 104°. In operation 24 hours. Year round. Chart:3686 Edn 03/11(P11-004).

Keepers: Nels C. Nelson (1907–1915); James H. Sadler (1915–1919); Robert S. Nosler (1919–1919); R. Allan (1919–1919); James Quin (1919–1922); Alfred Dickenson (1922–1925); Sydney Warren (1925–1929)

Quatsino Light

Quatsino Light (Photo from the Captain Alec Provan collection.)

Kains Island was named for Thomas Kains (1850–1901) who served as the Surveyor General of British Columbia.

References: Donald Graham ((1985) Keepers of the Light; Andrew Scott (2009) The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names; Peter Johnson and John Walls (2015) To The Lighthouse;



To quote from this article please cite:

Provan, Captain Alec and John MacFarlane (2016) Kains Island Light. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Light_KainsIsland.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: May 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 49,765 vessel histories (with 4188 images) and 57,500 mariner biographies (with 3397 images).


© 2002-2017