Ogden Point Light

by John MacFarlane and Murray Polson 2016

Ogden Point Light

Ogden Point Light (Photo from the Murray Polson collection. )

Ogden Point Light (List of Lights 204 G5312) is located on the outer end of the breakwater. It is a White tower, with a red band at bottom.

Ogden Point Light

The original lighthouse was built in 1917. Construction was relatively straight forward with the location so close to the offices of the Canada Department of Marine and Fisheries. (The light was always unmanned.) (Photo Murray Polson collection)

Ogden Point was named for Peter Skene Ogden (1793–1854) a fur trader and explorer employed by the Hudson Bay Company. Completed early in 1917, Ogden Point Breakwater was marked the following year by a square, white pyramidal concrete tower erected by the Parfitt Brothers at a contract price of $1,655. An unwatched acetylene beacon originally provided the light displaying an occulting white light at a height of forty feet above high water. An electrically operated fog alarm was installed on the breakwater in 1919 and in 1926 a cable was laid to supply the needed electricity from shore.

Ogden Point Light

Ogden Point Light construction detail Photo courtesy Maritime Museum of British Columbia collection.

Ogden Point Light

Ogden Point Light construction detail Photo courtesy Maritime Museum of British Columbia collection.



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. and Murray Polson (2016) Ogden Point Light. Nauticapedia.ca 2016. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Light_OgdenPt.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: November 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,543 vessel histories (with 4,571 images) and 57,599 mariner biographies (with 3,482 images).


© 2002-2017