The Plaque Commemorating the Isabel

by John M. MacFarlane 2017

Monument plaque

The plaque commemorating the Isabel (Photo from the John MacFarlane collection. )

On the causeway at the Inner Harbour of Victoria BC there is a plaque commemorating the sidewheeler Isabel.

In 1866 she was built in Victoria BC. 146’ x 24’ x 9’ wooden hull She was a steam sidewheeler.

In 1866–1870 she was owned by Captain Edward Stamp. In 1870 she was owned by the Starr Brothers. She sold to Robert Dunsmuir who refitted her and put her in service between Victoria, Nanaimo and Comox.

She was launched July 25, 1866. In 1870 she was own the Puget Sound route in opposition to the Eliza Anderson. She would run to Port Townsend to connect with the Alida for Olympia. She was later releived on this route by the North Pacific. Afterwards in 1872 she operated on the Victoria to Nanaimo route, and later as a tug. She was eventually replaced by the Joan. She was laid up in Victoria Harbour, until 1894 when her machinery was removed and the hull converted to a barge.

Over the years she was commanded by Captain Chamber (1866); Captain Pamphlet (1868); Captain Devereaux (1868-1870); Captain Dan Mossison (1870); Captain Starr; Captain Clancey; Captain Pamphlet; Captain Ramsey, Captain Landbourne, Captain Robisnson, Captain Wilson, Captain Brown, Captain Burr, Captain F. Revely; Captain J.P. Bendrot; Captain J.E. Butler.



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2017) The Plaque Commemorating the Isabel. Nauticapedia.ca 2017. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Monument_Isabel.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: November 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,543 vessel histories (with 4,571 images) and 57,599 mariner biographies (with 3,482 images).


© 2002-2017