The Mission Boat Wm. H. Pierce

by John MacFarlane 2017

W.H. Pierce

The mission boat Wm. H. Pierce (Photo from the Judd Gallagher collection.)

In 1940 the Wm. H. Pierce was built at Sea Island BC by Baba Bros. Boatworks. She was built as the Smithy; then Pierce; then Wm. H. Pierce 11.25m x 3.32m x 1.68m (36.9’ x 10.9’ x 5.5’) Wooden hull 18.73gt 16.66rt She was powered by a 60bhp diesel engine (1940).

Judd Gallagher shared two images of this vessel while she was operating as a mission boat.

W.H. Pierce

The mission boat Wm. H. Pierce (Photo from the Judd Gallagher collection.)

In 1940–1942 she was owned by Joseph D. Smith, Vancouver BC. In 1943–1946 she was owned by Ira D. Stoddart, Vancouver BC. In 1947–1963 she was owned by the United Church of Canada, Toronto ON. In 1964–1967 she was owned by Knut L. Ostrom, Prince Rupert BC. In 1968–1975 she was owned by John Micholuk, Prince Rupert BC. In 1976–1993 she was owned by Gregor A. McLeod, Prince Rupert BC. In 1994–1997 she was owned by Gordon L. Cox, Prince Rupert BC. In 2004–2017 she was owned by Gordon L. & Linda Cox, Prince Rupert BC.

The W.H. Pierce was a cabin cruiser purchased by the United Church of Canada hospital at Bella Bella in 1947. It was used by Dr. George Darby in his medical missionary work.



To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2017) The Mission Boat Wm. H. Pierce. Nauticapedia.ca 2017. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/WH_Pierce.php

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: November 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,543 vessel histories (with 4,571 images) and 57,599 mariner biographies (with 3,482 images).


© 2002-2017